Last night when I was checking my emails at home, my broadband connections was disconnecting again and again. I use an MTNL triband broadband connection using ADSL technology with a UT star modem (model UT-300R2U). When I Googled for the same, I came to know that this problem is very common among various broadband services like BSNL data one, Airtel Broadband. I tried to find out the main reasons and the solutions. Let me present you the summary of my research with troubles and its fixes.
Why disconnection happens frequently ?
Some of the possible reasons are:
- Poor line quality (lots of noise in phone line)
- Faulty Splitter
- ISP side issues (issue at service provider’s end)
- Synchronization problems
- Faulty Router / ADSL modem equipment
- Improper connection with splitter
There may be more reasons, but these are the most common reasons for disconnection and reconnection again and again. Lets see how to find and fix the trouble.
Let me point down solutions to the issues mentioned above one-by-one:
1. Poor line quality: Lodge a complaint with the service provider (MTNL, BSNL, Airtel etc.) and ask them to correct the line noise. It is generally simple to solve. It fixes the issue to a great extent.
2. Faulty Splitter: A broadband splitter is installed during the installation of a broadband connection, it looks like something you can see in image below. A broadband splitter looks like a simple phone splitter, though it is much more complicated than that. If your broadband disconnects when receiving or making phone-calls, then lodge a complain and request for change of splitter. If you have installed your own splitter, you need to buy another one. It takes care that while your broadband connection is trying to synchronize with the ISP server, there should not be any disturbances due to phone usage.
3. ISP side issues: This may happen many times due to reset in ISP side servers. This kind of problem is temporary and is solved on its own. If it remains for long time, lodge a complaint and get the connection checked.
4. Synchronization problem: Faulty splitter, or noisy phone line, or faulty router, or any mix of these can cause synchronization issues. This can be tested and solved by service provider.
5. Faulty router / ADSL modem / CPE : If your modems is going faulty, you need to get it replaced, if its in warranty, then get it replaced, else its shopping time.
6. Improper connection with splitter: This is one of the trivial looking problem, but it can cause serious problems. There are three post on splitter viz. “ADSL , LINE , PHONE”. Make sure that you plug in the line coming into the house in LINE port , Connect the router in ADSL port and connect your telephone instrument in PHONE port. This will solve the issue of synchronization if the cabling was wrong earlier.
This trouble creates a lot of dependency on service provider, but hope that the research I shared with you will help you Find and Fix it with the help of service provider.
Hope it helps!