Some of the windows users faced this strange problem when they are not able to remove specific programs in windows and this includes all the version of windows from xp to windows 7 and windows 8 as well, as per the emails we got it was quite strange as users were able to remove most of the installed applications but cannot remove or delete certain programs in windows. Some users get this error – “An error occurred while trying to remove program. Uninstallation has been canceled.” – In some cases for uninstall problems the windows installer might be malfunctioned, you can read our guide on how to repair windows installer which helps you install or uninstall applications in any version of windows.
After some searching we found out this could happen if a windows application is installed in such way that when you run the add remove windows uninstaller, it could not delete the installed software sometimes because they are in use or some other reason. It could happen sometimes due to the improper development of the application by the developers.
After some searching we found out there are several third party tools which could help you to forcefully remove a software or if you are a geek you can manually delete the software files and then remove the uninstall registry entries of that program in windows registry.
Remove a Program Via Windows Registry [ For Geeks Only ]
Note: Please don’t follow this method if you don’t know how to delete or change windows registry, any thing you do wrong could possible make your windows pc not to boot up again and you will have to re install windows on it.
You should read here how to backup windows registry and restore later if something goes wrong after following the steps below.
1. Click Start menu >> Run and type “regedit” [ without quotes ] and press enter.
2. Once the registry editor is opened after doing the step 1, navigate to the following path mentioned below.
3. Now locate the program specific registry key. [ This will be a difficult task or time consuming for some ] – In the Export Registry File dialog box that appears, click Desktop in the Save in list, type uninstalling the File name box, and then click Save.
4. Each key listed under Uninstall in the left pane of Registry Editor represents a program that is displayed in the Currently installed programs list of the Add or Remove Programs tool. To determine which program that each key represents, click the key, and then view the following values in the details pane on the right:
DisplayName: The value data for the DisplayName key is the name that is listed in Add or Remove Programs.
UninstallString: The value data for the UninstallString key is the program that is used to uninstall the program.
5. After you identify the registry key that represents the program that you removed but which is still displayed in the Currently installed programs list of Add or Remove Programs, right-click the key in the left pane of the Registry Editor window, and then click Delete. Click Yes in response to the “Are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?” message.
6. Now close and quit Windows Registry Editor.
Check For The Uninstall Program Registry In Add Remove or Programs Features in Windows 7
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs. In the Currently installed programs list, verify that the program whose registry key you deleted is no longer listed.
2. Do one of the following:
- If the program list is not correct in Add or Remove Programs, double-click the Uninstall.reg file that you saved to your desktop in step 5 to restore the original list of programs in the registry.
- If the program list is correct in Add or Remove Programs, right-click the Uninstall.reg file on your desktop, and then click Delete.
Easier Way To Remove Programs In Windows [ No Registry Editing Needed ]
You can also use microsoft official tool which was earlier called Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, now it has been renamed as Microsoft Fix It tool which will help you diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically.
Another free software which can help in this situation to remove programs is Revo Uninstaller [ It comes in both free and paid version ] or else you can try another free portable uninstaller called Geek Uninstaller which you don’t even need to install on windows. You can also try Ainvo Uninstall Manager which allows you to remove any program from your PC forcefully within in few clicks.
You can watch the video below to see how does Revo Uninstaller Works [ Optional ]