Yesterday I installed FeedDemon on my Windows 7 computer and when I tried to Synchronize Feed Daemon I got error message saying:
FeedDemon was unable to make a secure connection to your Google account. If you have an active internet connection, verify that your firewall permits FeedDemon to connect.
On analyzing it closely I realized that this is because of Windows 7 Firewall preventing the FeedDemon to access Internet connection.
In this article I will share with you how you can add any program or application as an exception to Windows 7 Firewall to allow the application to use Internet Connection.
You need to add certain programs to Windows 7 Firewall exception list if that program is not working correctly because of Internet connection access problem. To know what programs / applications are using internet connection at present, you can read our tutorial – How To Check Which Application Is Using Internet Connection
To add any program to exception list you need to follow the below steps:
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall
2. On Windows Firewall page, click on the options “Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall ”. This will open Allowed Programs Window
3. Click on the “Change settings” button on the Allowed Programs Windows
4. When you press Change settings button, the button on the bottom of the screen which says “Allow another program” will become enabled. Click this button.
5. Browser through the list of programs to locate the program that you want to add in the exception list. In example below, I have added FeedDemon in the window below. Click Add button and press OK on the Allowed Programs Window.
Note: If the program you want to add is not in this list, click the browse button on below window and locate the program on the installed location and it will be added.
6. Now run the application you were facing problems with, In my case, I ran FeedDemon again and this time it worked perfectly fine.
Hope you find this tutorial simple and useful.