A reader recently asked us a question
Can I add a custom style theme to windows vista?
Windows Vista does not allow to install any third party themes by default, in order to install you will need to patch three system files in vista at path C:\Windows\System32\
There are large number of FREE softwares which lets you customize the look and feel of windows vista by patching the system files mentioned above, one of such free tool is VistaGlazz
VistaGlazz is a free application that can easily modify your windows vista installation to use custom styles themes to vista.
Note: Before tweaking your system files we would suggest you to take the backup of the files mentioned above to a separate directory.
Lets see how can you tweak windows vista installation with VistaGlazz
Follow the procedure below to tweak vista to add custom styled themes
1. Download VistaGlazz from link at the end of this post.
2. Run VistaGlazz and click “I agree” in the first screen.
3. At the second screen click the Computer Icon and now click the button Patch Files
4. Download any custom theme for vista and copy it to the following path C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
5. Right click on the Desktop, select Personalize and then, Themes Select new theme from the dropdown menu and Click the Apply button to set your current theme.
VistaGlazz works for windows vista with service pack 1 but some user reported it does work for windows vista without service pack 1 also, we have given the download links for both the version.