One of our readers reported that when he starts his computer, he gets a message like “Verifying DMI pool, Booting from CD and then there is an error like Non-System Disk or Disk error Replace and press any key when ready”
One of the messages shown in this type of problem is given in the image above some other messages are like DISK BOOT FAILURE, NTLDR is missing etc.
There can be several reasons for this kind of error, like :
- Non-bootable floppy or CD present in drive
- Corrupt boot-loader
- Faulty Hard disk drive
Let us see the fix for each of these.
1. First of all, check floppy drive and CD / DVD drive, there should be no disk drive inside it when you are starting your computer. This is most common type of reason for such kind of problems.
2. If there is still problem even after removing all CDs / DVDs and Floppies , it is possible that boot-loader has got corrupt. In such case you need to repair the boot-loader.
- For Windows XP, you can use a bootable Windows XP setup CD, boot the computer with bootable CD and run Recovery setup by pressing R key. This will boot the computer in recovery mode. You will see command prompt, on this prompt type “fixmbr” without quotes and press y to confirm , now press enter.This will fix the Master Boot Record.
- For repairing Windows Vista Boot-loader refer this post.
3. If it still does not work, then it is possible that your computer’s hard disk drive has gone faulty. Sometimes this kind of problem is also faced due to over-heating of drive.
There may also be a problem in System power supply ports, as we have experienced sometimes ourselves. Check these things and get the disk checked on some other computer, or show it to your computer vendor/ technician.
Hope this information given will help you fix the trouble.