We all want our computers safe from threats, viruses, identity thefts and other malicious codes giving us a hard time. It’s a good idea to have a reliable security software. In this post, we share with you detailed hands on review of Norton 360 Version 5, which has been released recently. We will also be giving away 5 boxes of Norton 360 each containing 3 Licenses valid for 1 year, sponsored by Symantec India.
The first impression of Norton 360 Version 5 is that it installs very very fast, I was amazed to see that it got installed in just about 2 minutes on my Windows 7 PC. Norton has really done some optimization on even the installation front. Usually the anti-viruses take as long as 5 to 10 minutes to install properly.
Secondly, Norton 360 is not just an anti-virus, it does a whole lot more than that. The Norton 360 includes :
- Online or Internet Security Tool
- Saves from cyber attacks
- Prevents Identity Thefts
- Parental control tool for blocking unwanted websites
- Scans the search results for spam and unsafe links
- Tunes the PC for better performance
- Online backup of 2GB free
- Included Free phone, email and chat support if something goes wrong with your computer
- Fights Viruses and Spywares
- Keeps itself updated via live update
- Real time virus protection
- Integrated Firewall
- Email Scanning, both inbound and outbound
After installation, you need to sign up for a Norton online account or register with your existing Norton account. This will help you look at your product details later, get online support easily etc..
The interface of the Norton 360 Version 5 is simple, fast and responsive. The settings and options are well laid out in a good logical way. The user interface is divided into
- PC Security and related tasks
- Identity Protection
- PC Tune-up
There is also a small gadget in the sidebar which shows the status of the security software all the time for quick and easy access besides the small taskbar icon.
We have seen Norton becoming very performance centric, so it does show the performance data of the PC as well as the Norton specific tasks in its interface itself. I don’t feel any slowness on my PC because of Norton 360 except for when I manually run a full system scan. Even during the Full system scan, the PC is fine enough to work.
There is small navigation menu links on the top:
The tasks list the basic functionalities like running scans, updates, backups, tune-up tasks etc..
The settings menu allows you to make preference changes in anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, network settings, parental control, identity protection, etc.. There are also some Quick Controls which are very helpful for changing the basic settings in no time.
The identity protection feature helps you from not falling in trap of any fake websites with fake certificates. It integrates with your web browser and saves you from password and personal information theft.
You can keep a track on your computer usage, Norton calls it the “Online Family” statistics in which you can see the websites visited, alerts generated and search terms used on your computer.
The Norton Safe web is also integrated in the Norton 360 which can tells you about the threat levels of a URL. You can enter any URL or website and its checks Norton Database to see if the website is listed dangerous or malicious.
The activity map shows the the global cyber attack statistics and most critical threats happening on the Internet.
The firewall of Norton 360 can be control from the settings. You can turn it off if you don’t want to use it.
The firewall solution of Norton 360 is quite holistic with Traffic rules, Program blocking, etc. features built in.
Startup Manager helps you reduce the startup tasks right from its simple interface. This will speed up your computer after boot, especially if you don’t have too much RAM at your disposal.
The performance monitor shows the detailed graphs of CPU and memory usage of windows tasks as well as the Norton tasks.
There is one more very interesting feature called the Performance Alert, it will keep a check on any process which might be using too much of Memory or CPU and making your computer slow. You can stop or close it if you are not using it right now to make you PC work faster.
I have been using Norton 360 for some days now and I am finding it very useful. There is a lot more than what I have shared above, but I have covered most of the important stuff.
Norton 360 Version 5.0 Giveaway
We are giving away 5 licenses of Norton 360 version 5 sponsored by Norton India. This product can be directly purchased from Norton India Website also. To participate in this giveaway, you need to follow these below steps:
- Tell us by a comment below “What do you like most about Norton 360? Is there any additional feature you would like to be included?”
- Follow @troublefixers on twitter OR Become a Fan of TroubleFixers on Facebook
- Tweet the following text from your twitter account OR Share this text on Facebook – “Norton 360 Version 5 Giveaway – Win Free Licenses (via @troublefixers ) – http://bit.ly/ek8ByO ”
1. This giveaway is available for people living within India only. As we have boxed products which will be sent via snail mail and can be distributed inside India only as per the product license restrictions.
2. The giveaway will be open until 31st of March 2011. At the end of the giveaway, 5 winners will be randomly selected from among the participants.
3. Licenses will be shipped in boxes provided by Norton after the announcement of results, The list of winners will be declared at the end of this article only.
Updated 4 April 2011 – Winners Announced
We have selected 5 winners out of 46 valid participants using a free online list randomizing service from Random.org, below are the snapshots of the same:
Above is the list of valid participants. Below is the randomized list, top 5 are the winners:
We will get in touch with the winners via email to get their shipping address. We will send the boxes containing licenses via speed post after we get the shipping address from all the winners. If you are a winner and don’t receive our email, please check your email spam folder. If you don’t have our email there, please write to us at admin[at]troublefixers[dot]com.
Congratulations to winners ! Thanks to rest of the participants for participating, please don’t be disappointed, we keep coming up with useful giveaways from time to time, so better luck next time.