Norton is one of the largest Anti-virus and Internet Security Software provider of the world. They have come up with their latest tool called “Norton Internet Security 2010”
In this post, I will give you a complete review of the product which I am using on my Windows 7 Computer. Also there are 5 Licenses of Norton Internet Security 2010 valid for one PC for 1 year to be won if you participate in this giveaway.
I will review the Norton Internet Security 2010 step by step on its features, performance, effectiveness and usability from a user’s perspective.
When you install the Norton Internet Security, it may download some updates during installation.
It will ask you for the license key to start the setup. If you have purchased the physical copy in a box, the license key is printed on a yellow sticker on the CD cover. Use that key and please preserve it with you in case you need to install again for some reason.
After Installation you will see a screen like one below, which will start the Anti-virus and internet security services to protect your computer. A really nice thing about Norton Internet security is that it is fully compatible with Windows 7 / Windows Vista and Windows XP, so the interface on my Windows 7 computer came really well and it gels itself well with Windows 7 security settings etc. I used some other security software before on Windows 7 and they were not fully compatible. In that case I faced a problem that Windows 7 Action center will keep warning me that my computers Virus Protection is not adequate.
The Norton Internet Security 2010 will prompt you to create an online account and activate it. This is really helpful in case you need software support or need to contact Norton for any kind of queries or services.
The online account will list your product purchases, product expiry date and will prompt you by email if your product is going to expire, this will help you renew your product and keep your computer safe.
You can see a round yellow icon in the system tray which will be there in case you want to launch Norton Internet Security anytime.
Soon after you install and run the Norton Internet security, we recommend that you run the Live Update immediately to get the latest virus definitions.
The live update is quick and easy, just click the “Run Liveupdate” link and it will update to the latest product and virus definitions if you are connected to Internet.
I checked the settings panel to see what all features I can control as a user, here are some highlights of what i find is important:
- Compressed file scan support
- Microsoft Office Automatic Scan
- Rootkits and Stealth items scan
- Heuristic Protection
- Tracking cookies scan
- Schedule Idle time scans
- Ability to set number of threads for scan
- Ability to add exclusion for scan
- Norton Insight based cloud scanning
- Set scan performance profiles based on digital signatures
- Real time protection from Spyware
- Email Scanning
- Anti-Spam scanning
- Instant messenger scanning
- Intrusion prevention
- Network Security Map
- Smart Firewall
- Browser Protection
- Identity protection via browser plug-ins
- Norton Safe-web support
- CPU / Memory / Performance Information – good to monitor if your PC is slow
- Idle time optimization
- Proxy settings
- Power Saving mode
- Tamper Protection for improved safety
- Silent mode settings
- Parental and Privacy controls
All in all the features of the product are very impressive and wholesome when it comes to security.
I also tested how well it scans the computer, so I ran a full system scan on my PC to see what all it detects.
The interface is very soothing and intuitive, I did not have to go through menus to run the scan, a simple click started the full scan.
It tool about 35 minutes for the full scan on my computer, this will vary from computer to computer depending on number of files and disk size that you have.
It detected 1 Virus of high risk which it successfully removed, 113 tracking cookies.
It gives you options to clear tracking cookies automatically or ask you when it finds them.
Norton Insight Network scan determines the new threats and their sources using Norton Community Watch. Insight Network scan uses the statistical information about the applications from the Norton Community Watch to determine the new threats and their sources.
Below is the screenshot of the performance monitoring using the Norton Internet Security 2010. It tells you what amount of CPU and memory resources are being used by the Norton processes and threads.
I have been using this product for about a week and find it really nice, effective and useful. You can purchase a copy of this product from – Norton Official Website
Win A One Year License To Norton Internet Security 2010
We are running a giveaway of 5 Licenses of Norton Internet security for our readers. To participate in the giveaway, you need to do the following:
1. Follow @troublefixers on twitter and tweet this post by clicking here[link to be added]
2. Tweet the following text written inside square brackets below on twitter
[ Norton Internet Security 2010 Giveaway – Win Free Licenses (via @troublefixers ) – http://bit.ly/6ThMnE ]
3. Subscribe to our free email newsletter here.
4. Leave a comment on this article with a valid email id and twitter status URL of your tweet.
1. Since we have physical products in boxes and these products are only for distribution in India, we will be shipping the licenses to the addresses Inside India (India, Asia). For future giveaways, we will try our best to get the products or lances in soft copy so that they can be sent to the readers across the world.
2. The giveaway will be open till 15th Feb. 2010. After which we will select 5 winners at random from the list of participants. We will contact them via email to get the shipping address at which the products will be shipped by us. Winners will not be liable to pay for shipping, it will be paid by us. We will be shipping only to the address in India as mentioned in the note above.
3. We will be running similar giveaway on Technixupdate.com, you are free to participate at both the websites, but if you win on both of them, only one license will be shipped for a fair giveaway.
Winners Of The Giveaway Are
The 5 lucky winners selected randomly from the participants are :
RamaKrishna, Linu, Prasad, ekreddy, and Ramesh. We selected the winners using the Random.org list randomizer function. We will soon send emails to the winners to collect their addresses and mail them the licenses soon.
Congratulations Winners ! Thanks to all who participated, we will keep running more giveaway like this, so if you didn’t win a license this time, stay tuned, you might be lucky one next time.