It happens many time when we try to delete a file on the hard disk, and file does not get deleted. It gives the error message saying “Cannot delete, file is being used by some other program” when we are actually not using the same file.
This problem occurs because windows does not release the handle to the file. Let us see the way to delete such files.
In order to delete a file, which you are not able to delete normally by delete or shift+delete or right click>>delete you can try following ways out:
Method 1: (With unlocker)
The process of deleting a file could become more easy if you use a freeware called Unlocker.
What is unlocker ?
Unlocker is an explorer extension that allows you with a simple right-click of the mouse on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder.
Download Unlocker and install it on your computer.
After installation follow the steps below for deleting files which you are not able to delete otherwise :
1. Right click on the file and select unlocker.
2. If the folder or file is locked by any program of windows , a window listing of lockers will appear.
3. Press unlock all to release the windows program handle to the file.
4. delete the file or folder ,now it will be deleted.
Method 2: In this method there is no need to install any software. This method uses basic DOS commands, if you are not comfortable with working on DOS, see Method1.
1. Open Start>>Run and type “cmd” (without double quotes) and press enter.
2. Press alt+ctrl+del to open task manager, now click on process tab and locate Explorer.exe and end this process.
3. type del <complete file path-name>.