Have you run into trouble when you download some file from the Internet and not able to open it? Mostly it happens when you don’t have a software required to view that file. For example, you download a presentation in ppt format on your computer and don’t have Microsoft Office or Open Office installed on your computer, then you won’t be able to open it. The problem becomes more when you are using somebody else’s computer, when you don’t know which software is installed on that computer !
In this post, I will share a wonderful portable tool which you can copy on your pen drive and take it anywhere. It will run on any Windows computer and will open almost all kind of common file types which people usually download from Internet or some other computers.
The tools is well named as – Universal Viewer. Its is a very light weight tool, comes in Windows installer as well as the portable version. The portable version is under 6 MB of download and when you extract it it will take around 12 MB space on your disk. You can carry the portable version with you on a pen drive and run this tool to open any type of file on any windows computer anywhere.
This viewer supports following type of files to be opened without installing any other software :
- Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: any files, of unlimited size (even 4Gb+ sizes are allowed)
- RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts
- Image: all general graphics formats: BMP JPG GIF PNG TGA TIFF… plus all formats supported by IrfanView/XnView external viewers
- Multimedia: all formats supported by MS Windows Media Player: AVI MPG WMV MP3…
- Internet: all formats supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML PDF XML MHT…
- Plugins: all formats supported by Total Commander Lister plugins
- MS Office: all file types of MS Office (if installed): DOC DOCX XLS PPT…
- Converters: some types can be viewed as plain text: DOC DOCX PDF PPT ODT…
We recommend that you keep this tool handy with you on your pen drive, you never know when it will save you from a lot of hassle.
If you like this article or this article helped you, you can +1 to recommend this article on google plus.