One of my friend asked me how can he protect some of his folders on his pen drive so that he can only open those folders.
In short he wants to make some of his pen drive folders as private that only he can open those folders.
After analyzing the problem completely, I was able to figure out a possible solution to his problem. We can actually make any of the folders on the pen drive protected and access denied to all the other users on including the users on other computer.
So, No one except you can open those folders on your pen drive instead they will see the message “Access Denied” when ever they try to open those folders. This protection will work even if some one take your pen drive and connect it to any other windows computer.
Let’s see how can you make some folder protected or access denied to other users.
1. First make sure that your USB pen drive supports NTFS file system.
Note: if you don’t know how to check whether your pen drive supports NTFS File system then follow the next step you will come to know
2. Backup all the data from your pen drive on your computer hard drive.
3. Right click on the Pen Drive Icon in My Computer, select format.
4. Now, select NTFS as file system, click the option which says quick format and click Ok.
5. Now open your pen drive and copy your data including private folders on the pen drive.
6. Right click on your private folders on your drive and select Properties and click the Security Tab.
7. Click on the Edit button to deny access permissions to all the other users.
8. Now, In order to deny the access permissions to all the other users, you will need to set deny permissions for everyone user group.
9. Click Apply and then Ok button after selecting the deny permissions through checkboxes.
10. That’s it, this folder on your pen drive will become access denied to all the users including you.
But you know how to remove the protection by un checking the checkboxes under Deny Permissions.