We have been getting lots of virus problems which infect computers through autorun.inf file as autoplay is enabled on the windows drive by default.
Some of the autorun related virus problems for which we have already posted the solution are
All these problems are caused due to enabled autoplay on windows drive. We need to stop windows from executing instructions in autorun.inf files
Let’s see how can you disable autoplay on drives
To disable autorun for all the drives on your computer, you will need to configure it through windows registry.
Follow the procedure below to stop autoplay on windows drives
1. Open Start >> Run or press Window + r
2. Open registry by typing regedit.exe and press enter
3. Navigate to the following path:
4. Double-click the NoDriveAutorun registry key and type the value in Hexadecimal as FF ( or 255 in Decimal).
Note: If their is no NoDriveAutorun registry key, just create it by right-clicking the right side area of the regedit window, then select New >> DWord Value >> type NoDriveAutorun and press enter.
5. Exit registry and restart your computer for changes to come into effect.
This is how you can disable autorun on all your drives and at least will prevent autorun activity of virus infected USB pendrives or CD’s and avoid infection through autorun.inf viruses.