We just got a mail from one of our reader who sees a blank desktop after he is logged in on his windows computer, here is what he had said in his mail.
when ever I try to logon to windows I can see the wall paper (no start button no desktop icons no nothing) when i hit ctrl,shift,esc. and i click on task manager but explorer.exe is not running under process when i try to run it but i get an error saying "Windows cannot find explorer.exe – please solve my problem
This type of problem occurs when your computer get infected from the virus or spyware which has corrupted some registry keys which are related to explorer load.
Here is how you can fix this issue:
Follow the procedure below
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch task manager
2. Click File | New Task
3. Now type regedit and click Ok
4. Browse the following registry path
Windows NTCurrentVersionImage File Execution.options
5. Under this registry path, you will see subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe.
These keys must be pointing to files created by the virus that have been removed (virus/spyware); explorer32dbg.exe and iexplore_dbg.exe.
6. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely.
7. Close Registry and restart your computer
I hope this procedure given above will help you fix the problem, if it does not let us know through comments.