Ubuntu is a wonderful variant of Linux. Ubuntu is very easy to Install using Wubi inside Windows. See out tutorial : Install Ubuntu Inside Windows Using Wubi
But ubuntu has its own problems when it comes to graphics and sound drivers on some specific laptops. My laptop HP DV4 is one of those laptops which have problems of drivers. Recently I wrote the solution for sound driver problem in this tutorial : No Sound In Ubuntu On HP Laptop
In this article I will tell you how to get the best visual and graphic effects from Ubuntu by Installing the required graphic drivers.
First of all you must know what type of graphics card is present in your laptop. Check your laptop model details on the laptop box or Internet to know the details.
If everything goes as Ubuntu is designed, it will automatically detect and select the graphics driver from Ubuntu repositories. Follow the below steps to Install the graphics drivers:
Automatic Method To Install Nvidia Drivers
Go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
this will automatically search for the hardware for which drivers are needed. It will also give you the option to Activate the driver. Once you activate it, it will download and Install the drivers needed for the graphics card. If this succeeds in your case, just read and follow the last step in the list of Manual Method below and ignore rest of the steps.
Manual Method To Install Nvidia Drivers
In case the automatic install does not work as it did not work in my case, It will get stuck somewhere in downloading and will probably remain stuck for a few minutes and then it fail. you need to manually download and install the drivers in the command line recovery mode. For this, follow the steps below:
1. Download and save the graphics driver on you ubuntu Desktop folder from Nvidia website : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
It will be a file with .run extensions. In my case, the file name was "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run"
2 Now Right Clik on the file and Click Properties, after this click on permission tab and check the checkbox which says "EXECUTE". This is very important because the file must be made executable to install the drivers.
3. Start the ubuntu, while booting, you will see a screen which says " Press Esc for Menu" This screen will come only for 3 or 5 seconds, so be careful and quick and press the Esc key.
4. This will show the ubuntu boot options, choose the ubuntu recover mode.
5. This will take you to a menu which will give you many options, choose the options which says " Start at Shell Prompt"
6. This will open a text login screen, at this screen put your username and password to login into the shell prompt session.
7. Now change the directory to the desktop by typing the following with your <username> in the below line
8. This will change the directory to the Desktop folder where you saved the downloaded .run in above steps. At this prompt, type the foloowing command to Install the driver from the run file. e.g if the run file’s complete filename is <filename>, replace it with the below command
9. This will give you a warning that you are running at Init level 1, and some other warnings etc. Agree to all those warnings and proceed to Installation. At the end of the installation, you will see a success message. After this, type "exit" and press enter.
10. Restart the Ubuntu, the drivers are now Installed.
11. To Enhance Graphics Effects, right click on the "Change Desktop Background". On the window that opens, click on "Visual Effects" tab, here you can select the "Normal" or "Extra" effects to enhance the graphics and enjoy the wonderful graphics of Ubuntu.
Please leave your suggestions and comments below.