Most old computers, older than 2 years or so, tend to get a lot of fragmented files and folders on the disk. When I say fragmented, I mean that one file is stored at multiple locations on the disk in small chunks.
This is a typical problem with most of the computers which make them slow because in order to access one single file, the computer needs to read all the small chunks of the hard-disk.
There are may tool to defrag your hard-disk drive. In fact Windows also has in-build Hard disk defragment tools to fix this problem.
In this article I am going to review a specialized hard disk defragment tool which is a freeware tool and works effectively to defrag the files, folders, boot time defragmentation and also scheduled defrags.
UltraDefrag is a freeware tool with following features :
- system files defragmentation (registry, pagefiles…)
- ultra fast NTFS analysis
- fast defragmentation algorithm
- effective volume optimization algorithm
- safety, it can never damage processed files
- simplicity, it can be used without reading the documentation
- ability to defragment single file/directory from the context menu in Explorer
- ability to defragment additional streams attached to NTFS files
- ability to exclude any unimportant fiiles based on flexible filters
- ability to defragment files which have number of fragments above specified threshold
- ability to automatically break defragmentation when the specified time interval elapses
- well readable HTML reports
- powerful command line interface
- ability to automatically hibernate/shutdown PC after a job
- small handy scheduler
- multilingual graphical interface
- little binaries (less than 500 kb)
- portable version available which requires no installation
- native 64-bit support
- open source code licensed under GPL / Free for personal use
Ultradefrag is very light weight and effective tool, I tested it on my computer and it works like a charm.
I recommend that you use this tool to optimize your PC. It will not make it extremely fast, but will make some considerable improvements in disk access.
I also strongly recommend to optimize some startup tasks for a considerable difference in speed of your old windows computer, See this tutorial for the same – Computer is slow at start up, takes too long to boot up