One of our readers Rakesh is not able to connect his laptop and a desktop computer for file sharing. We will discuss three easy ways through which you can connect your laptop and your desktop together for file sharing and Internet, or simply how can you connect two computers with each other with three simple and fast methods.
Let’s discuss all the three methods one by one.
First Method: Using a Switch
1. Plug in LAN cables into both computer’s
2. Open Start >> Control panel and double click Network Connections.
3. Now, double click on Network Connection.
4. Click the Properties button and type the IP address “192.168.0.1” to one computer and “192.168.0.2” to the other computer following the same procedure as specified above, both with the same subnet as “255.255.255.0“, leave rest of the fields blank, as shown in the image below, and click OK.
5. Now you need to rename the network names by right clicking on “My computer >> Properties
Click Computer Name tab.
6. Rename workgroup as “home” in both computers.
7. That’s it done, both of the computers will be connected thereafter.
Second Method: Using a LAN crossover cable
What is a Crossover cable?
Its a type of Networking / LAN cable to connect two computers mainly for file sharing available at all computer shops.
1. Connect both of the computers with the cross LAN cable.
2. Open Start >> Control Panel and double click the Network Connection, open LAN connection and click the properties button.
3. Select the option “Obtain the IP address automatically” in both the computers.
4. That’s it done, both of the computers will be connected thereafter.
Third Method: Using a special type of USB cable (USB-USB bridged cable)
Read about how to connect two computers with the third method here.