We have been receiving many mails from our readers these days with a problem that when ever they start up windows they see the error messages like as follows:
- Windows cannot find ‘C:\windows\svchost.exe.’
- Could not load or run ‘C:\windows\svchost.exe.’ specified in the registry
- Windows cannot find ‘C:\Windows\System32\amvo.exe’
- “Windows cannot find ‘copy.exe’
These type of messages appear at windows startup, when windows tries to load the virus files like amvo.exe, copy.exe etc. These error messages appear, because these files were removed by your anti-virus programs but still the registry entries for them exist.
Different types of viruses create some files which got executed at the windows startup so that they can come in action as windows load itself. In order to run the primary virus files required, they create run entries in windows registry.
Let’s see how can you remove these entries.
In order to fix it you would have to remove all the startup entries created by the virus.
1. Open Start >> Run. This will open run window.
2. Type “regedit” (without quotes) and press enter. This will launch registry editor.
( If you are not able to launch Registry by the command above, you can refer to this post to know how can you enable regedit again.)
3. Navigate to the following registry path:
4. Search for the keys here who have the data field set to any of the path specified above:
For Example: A Virus related entry will have
Type: <any type>
5.Delete these type of entries.
Note: Make sure you delete the virus related keys only
1. Download a program called CCleaner from here.
2. Install and Run it and Scan the registry scan (as shown in the image below).
3. Once the scan is complete it will show you the Fix Selected Issues button, click it to removes all the incorrect entries including the virus files registry keys.
We hope at least one of the above procedure will help to fix the trouble!