It is nowadays common amongst the Microsoft Outlook users to experience corruption in their personal folder (.pst) file. You may get stuck while trying to access a mailbox folder. Even at the time of creating new folders in the file, you may receive some weird error messages on your screen. PST corruption can be either logical or due to PST Outlook file size limitation. Logical corruption in the PST file generally occurs as a result of a virus infection or any human or software error. Moreover, if the file exceeds the predefined size limit, it is very likely to become unusable. To overcome such situations and get back all inaccessible mail data, you should use reliable methods to repair pst file.
Consider a situation wherein you have MS Outlook 2003 in your system. One fine day, you open Outlook and few emails are downloaded from the Exchange Server. However, when you try to view the emails you are unable to do so. An error message is displayed, which can be similar to the following message:
“File path\filename.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check.”
At this stage, if you click the ‘Deleted Items’ folder, you will receive another message:
The above errors occur because there is some corruption in your personal folder file. As a consequence, you may lose all vital emails and other useful information stored in the PST file.
You can use an updated backup to easily restore all the lost or inaccessible PST file objects. However, if the backup is unavailable, you should follow the below given resolution steps.
You can try any of the following methods to perform Outlook PST repair:
- Run ‘CHKDSK’ utility to scan your hard disk for errors by following the given steps:
- Go to ‘Start’, select ‘Run’, type ‘cmd’ in the Open box, and click ‘OK’.
- Now, run the ‘chkdsk /f’ command.
- When the process is completed, quit the command prompt.
- Open MS Outlook and see if the errors occur again.
- You should try recreating the personal folders file by following the given procedure:
- Search for the Outlook.pst file and rename the file as Old.pst.
- Repair the Old.pst file by running the Inbox Repair tool.
- Create a new Outlook Data (.pst) file.
- Finally, import all data present in the OLD.pst to the newly created personal folder file.
If the problem still persists, take help of a competent Outlook repair tool. A pst repair tool performs precise recovery of any damaged PST file to retrieve all valuable email data including emails, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, etc. Also facilitates selective recovery of Outlook folders and supports latest Windows platforms.
This is a guest port contributed by Jane Parker, below is the Bio of the author:
” I am Jane Parker and having 6 years experience in IT consultancy. I like to write on technical topics and about different software specially about email applications like Outlook and different Outlook tools with their related issues like Outlook PST Repair (Link Removed) , compact pst file, split pst, pst file backup, outlook duplicate remover, pst password recovery and more…”