I have recently jailbroken an iPhone I got from AT&T USA and brought it to India. In India I inserted an AirTel SIM in my Apple iPhone but the GPRS was not working. The GPRS settings are generally found in “Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network” screen as seen below
But this option was missing on my iPhone 3GS. This was missing because the apple restricts the settings editing from user. In this article I will share three methods of changing the GPRS APN settings when the option is missing.
There are three methods, one through browser, one through a cydia app and other through file editing. I will explain all three in this article.
First of all, find your manual GPRS settings from your service provider or carrier. You can also find Free GPRS settings for India here.
Change iPhone APN Settings Through Safari Browser [Quick and Easy Way]
1. Connect your iPhone to some wifi/wireless network which can give your iPhone Internet access.
2. From your iPhone Safari browser, open the website : unlockit.co.nz and click Continue
3. Click on Custom APN
4. Type the APN settings for your carrier, in my case, it was airtelgprs.comand click on create profile.
5. Save the profile and re-start your iPhone. Your phone should now be working with the GPRS settings.
Enable Cellular Data Network Settings On iPhone Using APN Editing App
For this you can download the app called “APN Editing”
This app should work on iPhone 2G/3G, not sure of 3GS, because it did not install on my 3GS. If this application installs on your phone, its good, else see the method below.
Enable Cellular Data Network Settings Though File Editing [Geek Method]
1. Download and Install OpenSSH app from Cedia
2. Download and Install WinSCP client for Windows. Run the client and connect to your iPhone using SFTP over the wifi network. The Host Name will be IP address visible in
“Settings > General > Wifi > <Network Name>”
username will be “root”
password will be “alpine” for iPhone 3Gs
3. Browse to the following location on the WinSCP client
“/System/Library/Carrier Bundles/<carrier name>” and copy the “carrier.plist” file from this folder. carrier name is the folder name that depends on which carrier you are using. For example, in my case, it was Airtel India, so the path is:
4. Download and run pledit software and open the file “carrier.plist” downloaded in above step with pledit editor
and paste the following code just after the “<dict>” tag in this file:
Save the file after making changes as seen below.
5. Copy the Saved file back to the same folder in the iPhone. Restart the iPhone and the settings will be enabled.
After all this research, I got my GPRS working, see the proof below 🙂
Hope you find this article useful.