There may be a need for you to change your Windows 7 Key. This need maybe because :
- You are updating from Windows 7 public beta to a licensed version of Windows
- You were having a copy of Windows 7 which was not genuine but you have now purchased a license and want to update the Windows 7 key
- You have any other need because of which you want to change Windows 7 key
In this article I will explain the step by step guide to update Windows 7 Key.
1. Go to Start Menu and search cmd, this will show command prompt result at the top as shown below:
2. Right Click on this cmd.exe icon and click Run As Administrator
3. Type the following command:
slmgr.vbs /ipk <your windows genuine key here>
The first command will remove the present product key and the second command will update the new key.
4. If you the above step correctly with a valid License Key for Windows 7, you will see a success message like the one below:
5. Now you need to activate Windows online. For this Go to Control Panel > System
On this screen you will find the link to activate Windows. Click on the link which says
“Activate Windows Now”
6. You will see a Windows Activation Window as seen below, select the Retype Product Key option:
7. Type the Windows key again in this window and it will start an online validation if you are connected to Internet.
8. You will get a success message on activation on Windows
Hope you find the tutorial easy to follow.